Wednesday, December 10, 2008

oh dear me


I don't think I'm alone when I say that I'm a little weary at the moment. Perhaps my reason is a little different - I'm not tired because of festivities or turkey-needs-to-be-cooked-stress. You see, my little chicken is turning out to be one of those lively spirits. Those children who people refer to as 'balls of energy'. He's a climber.


An explorer and a giggler with the stubbornness of his Dada and the determination of yours truly. Me oh my it is exhausting. He's a grazer too - that's right, he'll eat all day. Some bread, some cheese, some peaches and then some more please. Which means I'm preparing/cooking/serving food for most of the day. Don't get me wrong, I love feeding him with fresh food goodness but it is a bit of a shock to the system. He's grounding me, pulling me down from that cloud I like to float on. This is such uncommon ground for me and I'm taking a while to adjust. I'm being challenged but I'm learning.

He's a screamer, a squealer, a chatter and a giggler. Every sentence is a statement - he never questions. For good reason I am slightly concerned about future tantrums. Goodness gracious me. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Of course there is always balance in our day. However hard it is I always seem to get one of those cuddles with a pat on the back that make everything seem easy peasy. Thank goodness for the hugs, the open-mouth slobbery kisses and the cheekiness. I just have to get better at keeping a straight face when I'm trying to explain that what he is doing isn't nice. I always laugh in the most inappropriate circumstances.

9 comments:

  1. I could have written this last year! I actually still feel the same way at times. My daughter is 2 and she eats all day as well. Every minute of the day is full of questions, eating, dancing, constant chattering.

    "I always laugh in the most inappropriate circumstances."

    And yes sometimes when I should be scolding her I have to turn around and cover my mouth to stop a laugh from escaping. They are so very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hold on tight! it's going to be an interesting ride.

    i have two of those wonderfully spirited types.

    ReplyDelete
  3. he he, welcome to the world of children! When that sweet baby turns into a moving, talking, eating real-life person, that's when life really gets interesting. Then you go and have three of them, and all of a sudden your whole day is spent preparing food (or at least thinking that you should be preparing food). Don't worry, it won't be long before he'll be helping himself to the fridge and pantry, and if you're lucky, you can ask him to grab you something while he's there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand why you are so tired!

    Spirited is a word bandied about this household too.

    I hope you are getting plenty of rest to fuel tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmhh, I'm feeling the weariness too. We have entered tantrum city over here. But I too stifle my giggles when the little bunny pulls her tricky stunts.

    On the feeding, It's great that he's eating wholesome food, soon he'll be helping himself - my five year old's specialty is sliced banana rolled in milo ;)

    Hope you get a chance to take it easy soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A handful. But he sounds like a lovely handful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Thank goodness for the hugs, the open-mouth slobbery kisses and the cheekiness."

    My Gawd yes! Thank goodness! XXxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my are you talking about my little boy? I've been down this path before and now I am again learning too....about complacency. One spirited child does not mean the next spirited child will be spirited in the same way...I am in for the next ride of my life right about now also....shall we ride together?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we are living parallel lives!

    ReplyDelete