Wednesday, May 19, 2010

raindrops keep falling



I'm fast learning that just because it's wet outside it doesn't mean we have to stay in. I read somewhere recently that there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing. And so I rugged him up (he looked a little fatter as a result) and he wore for the first time his superbly wonderful star raincoat (it's cotton lined so provides warmth too). He splashed and frolicked and I followed behind dodging the puddle spray. And then he said something to me that absolutely made my day.

"Mum," he said.
"...the sun has gone away."

I suppose it's just the beginning of his ponderings and wonderings.

By the way, I think stormy fishing villages are incredibly romantic. Annie Proulx' The Shipping News is a fabulous read and I feel like indulging myself in a fishing village novel right about now. Any suggestions?

And speaking of novels, a friend of mine has been writing a novel for eight years and a large Australian publisher has just bought it. I'm so excited for her...and inspired too.

P.S. The raincoat is by Penny Scallan. The girls version is gorgeous too (covered in apples)

11 comments:

  1. Hello there,
    I just wanted to say that I appreciate your blog. I'm not sure I've commented before but I have been silently reading for a while and will continue to do so.

    Thanks for sharing. :)


    http://aluminium.tabulas.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is perhaps one of the most fabulous raincoats I have seen in a long time! Love the stars :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book "Snow Falling on Cedars" by David Guterson is romantic, haunting and takes place in a fishing village. It is one of my favorite books. The movie is really good as well.

    I love your blog! by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it's kinda sorta a fishing village book.... It's set on the island of Guernsey during the war, so all those crazy, charming, eccentric, lovely small town personalities and dynamics are present (I loved the Shipping News too).... I reckon you'd love it (if you haven't already). I ended up devouring it in a day or two when my bookclub read it.... so here's my suggestion....
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah rain and reading...what indulgence. Love Che's raincoat...and yes when they start to experience *outside* of themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh The Shipping News is a great novel - let me think of some suggestions (this may take some time as my sleep deprived brain is a tad slow)...

    How exciting for your friend!

    And what a super rain coat. Minnie is almost grown out of a delicious red one with white dots - I do think it's time for a new one.

    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is something wonderful about playing in the rain, my boys love it despite the cold weather we're having now. Only bad thing, I have to wash clothes a little more often than I care to. "Snow Falling on Cedars" is my choice as well, beautiful read.
    Engracia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donna Morrisey is a great "rugged fishing village" author - setting: many tiny old Newfoundland ports.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Jodi

    I love that line "there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing", it's so very inspiring and always motivates me to remember to rug up on rainy days for morning walk as opposed to missing out on that wonderful outdoor time. The coat is just beautiful, thanks for the link. Hope you are all well and enjoying the gorgeous snuggly Autumn weather :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. it wasnt me was it...? A sentiment I fully agree on anyway. Your blog is a new found treat.

    http://mamaghomemade.blogspot.com/2010/04/rainy-days.html

    ReplyDelete