Friday, August 17, 2012

from the south coast: lisa madigan ... the store

I knew as soon as I saw the white tissue pom poms and handpainted sign hanging from the tree. Here, in a non-descript back-street in Berry, was something special. 

Located in a light-filled cottage, Lisa Madigan's "the store" is a white-washed studio/gallery/shop that offers an eclectic mix of contemporary homewares, unique art and handmade goodness. The space is imbued with an organic colour palette of ivory, grey, green and black; paper, twine and beeswax reign supreme.

Lisa is a humble artist who blushes at my enthusiasm over her creations. Her style is fresh yet earthy; she admires handmade and has a profound love for the beauty of nature - fennel seeds, fallen branches, feathers. When I visited there were subtle hints of blush and violet throughout the artworks but what I noticed most was the textures: smooth clay next to so-soft-to-touch cowhide, worn timber beside recycled paper. 

Next time I visit "the store" the coffee machine will be set-up. So I can sit at the bench on the verandah and admire the small mis-matched vases and just-picked blooms while I sip a cappuccino. Daniel, I'm sure the kids will love that toy store down the road...

are we there yet?
a winter getaway
the 1950s cottage

photos by luisa, the queen of the editorial shot

No comments:

Post a Comment