Saturday, February 9, 2013

little treasures : made by hand

"I finally surrendered - to him, my heart, my fate - and off I went to live in Paris with a man I barely knew." 
- Pia Jane Bijkerk, My Heart Wanders

On Valentine's Day 2012, Pia and Romain welcomed baby Laly into the world. In the first few months of her life she was bestowed with gifts, handmade treasures from around the world: felt slippers, knitted cardigans, vintage smocks, a hand-stitched bear with movable limbs. Pia was full of gratitude for her friends and family and the heartfelt presents that had been sent her way. She wanted to say thank you but a card or an email just wouldn't suffice.

"Then, one night while feeding Laly in the wee hours of darkness, this book you will hopefully soon be holding in your hands appeared in my mind..." 

The book is Little Treasures : Made by Hand or Petites Tresors : faits a la main (the book text will be in both English and French) and Pia is self-publishing it. An internationally acclaimed stylist, Pia has written, styled and photographed 200 pages in her unique and much-adored aesthetic (think delicate items from nature, a muted colour palette, intricate details). She features over 50 handmade gifts and has included some simple how-to guides for items that she created whilst pregnant with Laly, like the fabulous giant paper wallflower kit

Pia has reached out to the creative community in the hope of raising the money needed for publication. She's on pozible and her project ends on Laly's first birthday - just four days from now. She's oh so close to her target and has listed some gorgeous packages....so, if you would like to own Little Treasures and ultimately support and celebrate handmade, make a pledge

.......................................................................................................................................................

Since Pia announced her project I have been thinking a lot about the treasures in my life. I still have my very first pair of Mary Janes, the fine gold necklace and St Christopher's medal (patron saint of travel) that my Nan placed around my neck when I left England as a two-year-old, the silver charm bracelet that my mum created whilst travelling through 26 different countries in her early twenties. 

I would absolutely love to hear your story. Tell me.....what are your little treasures?

images courtesy of pia jane bijkerk

No comments:

Post a Comment